For US AID we undertook a study to define a viable strategy for Armenian Airlines.
FCL was engaged at the concept stage of the new Kazakhstan airline and supported the shareholders in developing the strategy that has led to the successful development of it over the past 5 years.
LOT Polish Airlines
Prepared a strategic study to assist the LOT management with strategic decisions concerning the future of the airline’s low cost subsidiary.
Malev Hungarian Airlines
Prepared a rescue plan to for the airline, which has been making large losses. The plan has been implemented.
Prepared a business plan for Eznis Mongolia, to provide guidance for the Board on the future expansion of the airline.
Other recent clients:
- Government of Namibia Prepared a review of Air Namibia performance. Goals were to demonstrate the airline’s contribution to the national economy and to devise ways of reducing the amount of aid from the national government. This was a project financed by the European Commission.
- European Commission Team member of consortium with British Aerospace Consultancy Services and Cap Gemini developing a fares analysis model for the European Commission. Own responsibility was specification of revenue analysis parameters. The model is used as a key tool in implementation of European competition policy for aviation, and the scope is being extended to include North Atlantic operations.
- Government of India
Prepared initial brief for privatisation of Indian Airlines in conjunction with ANZ Grindlays Bank, Delhi.
- Government of Lesotho
Carried out World Bank financed human resources audit of national airline on behalf of Government of Lesotho and briefed management and unions on the issues raised. Recommendations were implemented by the client.
- Government of Swaziland
Presented recommendations on the future of the national airline. The recommendations of the initial report were accepted. Project Manager for the implementation phase including a complete restructuring of Royal Swazi eliminating large operating losses.
- Swiss International Airlines
Developed a new pricing strategy for Swiss, including, e<pricing and distribution and special segments, A major challenge has been to improve the level of expertise and commercial direction within the airline’s Revenue Management and Pricing department, including issues such as IATA affairs, general company conditions and irregularity procedures. This is taking place in an environment where the two airlines of Switzerland have been merged and are seeking to establish a secure commercial niche.
Over the years, FCL has undertaken numerous airline start-up studies on behalf of potential investors. Often we have discouraged the initiative but, where we have demonstrated a potential opportunity, success has followed, typically Air Astana in Kazahstan.
Airlines Cargo Development, marketing, Operations
Istanbul’s second airport – Sabiha Gocken
FCL developed a strategy to attract a wider air cargo market in competition with Ataturk Airport. Also developed a strategy to cater for the growing flows of Russian ”unaccompanied baggage” freight.
Hecny Transportation (Hong Kong) –
major private transportation and logistics company $1 bn turnover.
- Performance management of the UK team and the exit management of a poor performing GM.
- Establishment of profitable business partnerships in: Italy; the Czech Republic; Hungary and Poland.
- Developing a strategy to grow their wholly owned GSA company Intercontinental Air Service Ltd.
Global Supply Systems Ltd. (UK)
A UK registered cargo airline with four B747 freighter aircraft which operates all the British Airways long haul freighter services.
Developed and implemented a diversification and strategy.
Jet Airways (India)
Jet Airways started their first operation in May 2005 to Heathrow from Mumbai
Although previously unknown in the market we set up their cargo business in the UK securing a 30% market share in the first three months operations against long established carriers of British Airways; Air India and Virgin Atlantic. Market share on Mumbai is now around 28% and on Delhi it is over 40
Also set up their handling and sales set up in New York and Brussels in anticipation of starting routes to those two destinations.
Air Logistics(UK & USA) - Air Logistics is major European and US GSA company specialising in cargo sales.
Provided market and sales access analysis.
Virgin Atlantic Cargo (UK & USA)
- Carried out a full commercial review of the Virgin Atlantic business in the UK and Hong Kong. making recommendations that have resulted in a reduction of expenditure in excess of £1m pa.
- Undertook a customer and market analysis in the UK and US markets to enable the sales forces to understand their markets and to implement a focused and more successful sales plan.
- Participated in preparing the bid proposal to carry out the sales function for the new start up airline in the US Virgin America.
- We continue to serve as mentor and coach to the Director of Cargo on an ad hoc basis.
Cargo business development study
Back to index